Where is the fethiye mosque in istanbul? What is the history of fethiye mosque?
Fethiye Mosque is located in Fethiye district in Fatih county in Istanbul. It was built towards the end of 13th century by the order of Michael Doukas Glabas Tarchaneiotes. By the conquest of Istanbul, it started to be used as the office of patriarchate in 1454. Upon the conquests of Georgia and Azerbaijan in 1590, it transformed into a mosque in memory of these conquests. While transforming it into a mosque, the abscissa section of the church was demolished and in its place, a prayer niche (mihrab) was built towards the direction of qiblah. In addition to this, a minaret and a madrasah was constructed. The mosque was restored in 1845. In early 20th century, a primary school was built in place of the madrasah, and outer court walls of the kulliyah (social complex) were also demolished.
After the proclamation of the Turkish republic, this mosque was changed into a museum between the years 1936 and 1938 just as Ayasofya Mosque was. In 1955, mosaics and frescoes were revealed by the Byzantine Institute of America, the arch built by Turks was disassembled and columns were rebuilt in accordance with its old plan. It was re-opened to worship as a mosque in 1960s.
It is possible to see writings in Greek on the mosaics inside the mosque and on the walls of the mosque built from both stone and brick.