Where is the çırağan palace? What is the history of çırağan palace?
The construction of the palace was started by Abdulmecid in 1857, in place of a wood palace that had existed there before. After the death of the sultan, the construction could not be completed because of economic problems. However, the construction was completed by Sarkis Balyan with the order of Sultan Abdulaziz. The palace, which was completed in 4 years, cost 4 million gold coins. This palace was built with money borrowed from European countries.
During the construction of the palace, a Mawlawi Lodge (House) was destroyed. And this was considered as a bad luck among the public. Because of such rumors, Sultan Abdulaziz did not want to live in the palace and moved to Dolmabahçe Palace.
Çırağan Palace was used as the Building of General Assembly on 14 November 1909.
Çırağan Palace, which is not inferior to Dolmabahçe in the terms of magnificence, unfortunately burned in a fire on 20 January 1910. The palace ruined and burned down in 5 hours. Along with the palace, its valuable antiques, Sultan Abdulhamit II’s special collection, and Sultan Murat V’s library were too burned and destroyed in the palace.
Many years later in 1992, the palace was changed into a five-star hotel under the name of “Çırağan Palace Hotel” after a restoration.